The adventures of Reggie and Ruby , are about to begin. Join us for our four month adventure
We will be adventuring west, travelling across the Nullabour , along the western Australia coast above Perth, across in to the Northern Territory, through the middle of Australia , down to South Australia, finishing with in Victoria.
We arrived in Paris about 7am this morning, we spent approximately 27 hours travelling, 21 of those spent on a plane with a six hour lay over in Singapore. The airport at Singapore is amazing with lots to keep you busy, although after a short bout of shopping we spent many hours just relaxing in the lounge areas. I managed to get a bit of sewing in and have completed a Lucy Boston Block. I was going to do a whole post about the journey but thought I would skip that and go straight to the good stuff . . . . Paris decided to welcome us with a beautiful sunny blue sky day, this was our first sighting of the Eiffel Tower, and to be honest if it wasn't for gadget boy I would have missed it . . . . Can't wait to see it up close tomorrow My first sighting of Notre dame took my breathe away. As we crossed the bridge to the ille de Le cite, the bells of notredame began to chime and you could actually feel the vibration in the air, it was amazing. Our first day in P...
Today I ventured out alone, I caught the metro and rose from the underground to see this This is the Palais Garnier ( the Paris opera house) it was completed in 1875 and wow is it amazing. I had a great tour guide and her passion for the building was contagious. This is the grand staircase, the picture doesn't do it justice, the stairs are made of marble from all over the world, and as such has so many beautiful colours. The guide was telling us that this area is larger and more important than the actual theatre because when this building was built it was much more important to be seen than to watch the performance. The rich would have season tickets, and as such would come on on the theatre 3 times a week , to be "seen". Just think girls three new dresses every week. The stall were important, as the women were not allowed to sit in the main area, near a strange man. And also when the building was built the candelabra actually had candles so if ...
Sorry this one is a bit late, but I was absolutely exhausted when we got home after this adventure, I think the journey had caught up with me. Day 2 seen us take our first ride on the metro, I have to say that it was extremely easy to use and very very efficient. Our first destination was the hotel de invalides, which is now a French army museum, originally it was a hospital for sick or injured soldiers. Our map reading skills still leaves a little to be desired, but we didn't get to badly lost and we made it to our destination. Sadly due to a funeral we were unable to visit the museum however we were very fortunate to be able to visit the " dome des invalides" also known as the dome chapel. Where Napolean Bonaparte is buried. It is a beautiful chapel and a stunning place for someone to be buried. Napolean is apparently encased within several coffins within the sarcophagus. On the floor there is the names of all the places he was victorious in ba...
Comments
Post a Comment